The flame shoulder (Ochropleura plecta) is one of our most common moths here in Dorset. Indeed, it is widespread and common across much of the British Isles and is found as far north as Orkney and the Outer Hebrides. It is only about 1/2" long and is very distinctive because of the metallic copper-coloured flashes along the outside edges of the fore wings.
In the REFERENCE section of the Nature of Dorset you can:
- Find species information with photos, maps, etc
- Access Identification tools for birds, flora and trees
- Find information about nature reserves and hotspots
- Access information about Sites of special scientific interest
- Learn about the wildlife habitats of Dorset