This amazing collection of fungi covers several square metres on the edge of the car park at Upton Country Park. It is quite a sight, especially if you like toadstools. It has the common name of the cucumber cap (Macrocystidia cucumis) and is actually quite common according to my book but I have never seen it anywhere else in Dorset. It can grow on the edge of woodlands and roadsides especially under broadleaved trees and likes bare soil. At Upton it has taken hold of some bark chippings that were put down to keep the weeds out and is thriving; indeed, it may even have come in with the bark clippings.
In the REFERENCE section of the Nature of Dorset you can:
- Find species information with photos, maps, etc
- Access Identification tools for birds, flora and trees
- Find information about nature reserves and hotspots
- Access information about Sites of special scientific interest
- Learn about the wildlife habitats of Dorset