Access the RESERVES guide for details of over 200 nature reserves and wildlife 'hot-spots' in Dorset. For each that I have visited there is a description, some visitor information, some photographs, a location map, a species list and a link to other sites nearby.
- Use the RESERVES guide if you:
- Want to find details of a particular nature reserve in Dorset
- Want to find a nature reserve near you
- Want to identify a species you have seen at a Dorset reserve
Access the SSSI guide for information about the Sites of Special Scientific Interest in Dorset, there are 139 of them. In addition to links to the Natural England database for detailed information you can also explore the additional information and photographs that I have been able to accumulate for some of them.
- Use the SSSI guide if you:
- Want to find out why a site has been designated as a SSSI
- Want to find where the SSSI and its exact extent by looking at a detailed map
- Want to find nature reserves and hot-spots within a SSSI that you can visit
Access the HABITATS guide for details of the primary habitat types you can encounter in Dorset; the features of each and the animals and plants associated with them.
- Use the HABITATS guide if you:
- Want to see what habitat types are commonly found in Dorset
- Want to know which reserves and hotspots feature a particular habitat type
- Want to know what species are typically found in a particular habitat type
Access the SPECIES guide for details of over 1,500 species recorded in Dorset; animals and plants. For many that I have recorded there is a description, some basic information, some photographs, a distribution map and links to similar species.
- Use the SPECIES guide if you:
- Want to find out where to see a specific species
- Want a guide as to the species you can see in Dorset
- Want help identifying something you have seen
Access the IDENTIFICATION guide for an alternative method of identifying plants using specific attributes such as colour, month of flowering, habitat seen in and more
- Use the IDENTIFICATION guide if you:
- Want to identify a plant you have seen in flower
- Want to identify a tree from its flower, leaf, bark, shape etc.
- Want to identify another form of plant other than flowers and trees (coming soon!)