All you need to know about the best places in Dorset to see wildlife:
- Know the place you want to visit? Use the alphbetical index
- Looking for options in a part of the county? Use the map
- Want details of the county's SSSI? Use the SSSI section.
"My personal guide to the nature reserves and wildlife hot-spots of Dorset and the species that may be seen at each along with help in identifying those animals and plants."
To aid users of mobile devices as well as those with a mouse or laptop finger pad this site uses a simple image-based menu system. Virtually every picture you see (images and photos) are links to more information arranged in a sort of top-down structure. See an image, click or tap on it to open a new page.
The beginning of a journey into the Nature of Dorset!
This is my personal guide to the nature of Dorset; it is my hobby, not my livelihood and I make no charge for the use of it and there are no advertisements! My aim is to provide you as much information as I can about the best places to find animals and plants in Dorset and to help you identify a species you may have seen or to find a species you are looking for. For those wishing to delve a little deeper there is also a section on habitats and their indicator species.
This website uses a 'top down' approach with a graphical interface. You should be able to start from this page, choose where you want to go, click or tap the image and you will be presented with a further choice of options. Keep going until you find what you are looking for. Alternatively you can use the site search facility or the table of contents at the bottom of the page.
I hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy the nature of Dorset and the Nature of Dorset website.
In the REFERENCE section of the Nature of Dorset you can:
- Find species information with photos, maps, etc
- Access Identification tools for birds, flora and trees
- Find information about nature reserves and hotspots
- Access information about Sites of special scientific interest
- Learn about the wildlife habitats of Dorset
In the RECORDS section of the Nature of Dorset you can:
- See the latest sightings in lists, maps, charts and photos
- Find out where and when species have been seen
- Find out what has been seen at a site near you
- Find out the best time of year to see selected species
- Create your own lists, charts and maps and export data